Single Pot Processing and its Benefits
Single pot processing (one pot processing) is a term that includes any technology that combines different unit operations of a pharmaceutical production process into one machine. Mostly however, one speaks about a single pot processor when talking about a high-shear mixer-granulator that is also equipped with drying technologies. Thus, single pot processing is the production of pharmaceutical or nutraceutical granules using a wet granulation process in which dry mixing, liquid addition, wet granulation, drying and sizing of the granules is done in one machine.
The benefits of this type of processing are:
- By integrating granulating and drying capabilities into a single unit, capital investment in equipment and good manufacturing practice (GMP) floor space is lower than other alternatives.
- The number of material handling steps is decreased: consequently, the total processing time is shorter while maintaining a high yield and keeping production support to a minimum. At the same time also the number of required operators is reduced.
- Environmental variables, such as humidity, are eliminated from the manufacturing process, which may offer advantages for processing moisture-sensitive formulations.
- Requirements for solvent recovery systems are lower for single-pot processors compared with fluid bed dryers.
- Reaching a high level of containment is easy by application of the correct measures at in- and outlet valves.
- A single pot can be changed over in less than 2 hours, which makes it a very attractive technology if a large number of different products - demanding a high number of product changeovers - has to be produced.
Single pot processing is an extremely flexible technology; with its various processing options, it’s ideal for many different application and products. Whether for standard wet granulation, melt granulation, pelletizing or effervescent production, and/or combined with vacuum or microwave drying, a single pot processor can achieve the required result. The swinging bowl option enhances this flexibility even further by being able to process older formulations to a high quality standard. Quick product changeover is simple and efficient, and the equipment is easy to clean as a result of the clean-in-place (CIP) system.